Wednesday, February 18, 2015

To Race or Not to Race

I have lost my mind.  You probably already know that but I just figured it out… again.  How?  I received an email today about a local half marathon coming up in August and I’m considering signing up for it BEFORE THE PRICE goes up.  I did this one a couple years ago and it’s a nice race.  There are a lot of hills but it ends at a winery.  That is definitely a perk BUT (there is always a but) I have not been training like I should for the race I am already registered for in May.  I have not figured out how to prioritize my time yet but I am getting there.  Kinda.    

The question is do I really want to register for another?  I am having some doubt in my capabilities.  Well, not exactly my capabilities, as I know if I register I will finish it.  I just don’t want to struggle through it and be under trained.  I don’t want to walk away struggling like I did at the end of 2013.  Maybe this is just my fear rearing its ugly head.   I feel I failed once and I am nervous to try again. I know, I know all the logic here on why I need to not fear failure.  You do not have to tell me.    
To help me decide what to do, I am going to make a pros and cons list.  I do this often when I struggle with decisions.  Usually it helps me to see the answer in simple black and white instead of letting it get all mixed up in my head.

PROS
Bling!
Bonus: Wine glass – it’ll give me a matching pair
Another notch on my half belt
It is reasonably priced
Lots of friends running it
Showing my fear where it belongs (this may be the only reason I need)
Did I mention more BLING

CONS
Training
Tough Course
Getting up super early on race morning

Seems I have a lot more pros than cons.  Think this has made my decision?  Not quite yet but I am leaning toward just doing it already.  I will let you know when I register, if I do.   Thank you for being a sounding board.
Until Tomorrow

P.S.  My son boosting my self-esteem today: her mom is older than you but she looks younger, I’m going to use it to comb your leg hair and I call you puppy because they are sweet, cute and fluffy just like you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment