Friday, February 6, 2015

Create Change

At some point in their lives

1 in 4 women have been sexually assaulted
1 in 6 men have been sexually assaulted

1 in 5 women have been sexually assaulted while in college
Those are staggering statistics

Yet there is still a stigma attached to it.  We often don’t want to talk about it.  It makes us uncomfortable.  We ignore it. 
How is this possible given the statistics?

Yes, we’ve made progress.  Yes, there is more attention on the topic than previously.  Yes, things are slowly changing.  We still have so far to go.  
What I don’t understand is why we as a society aren’t doing more to change it.  Why aren’t we talking about it?  Why is there still so much shame associated?  Survivors of sexual assault didn’t ask for it.  It wasn’t because of something they wore, or the way they looked or a flirty smile or anything they did.  It’s because the person that assaulted them decided to harm them.  A crime was committed against them. 

What does matter is it is happening. 
We need to empower the survivors and we need to educate! 

We can all make a difference by talking about it, educating ourselves and others and by letting it be known we will not tolerate it.  We can take a stand and we can create change. 
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am thankful everyday that I am associated with our local Rape Crisis Center.  I am thankful that I am able to educate.  I am thankful that I am able to help a person in need.  I am thankful that I can be there.  But I wish there wasn’t a need.   
To all Survivors and especially to all the clients I’ve helped over the years – You are strong, amazing, brave individuals that left a mark on my heart.  I am always in awe of your courage.

Good Night.  

1 comment: