Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Doctor Appointment

Today I had a doctor appointment for a breast check-up.  I’ve noticed a couple of things that are off and felt it better to be safe and get checked out.  I am confident that everything is fine but it is never a bad idea to check when something is abnormal.  Best case – I will be out a little time and money.  Worst case- well, I will deal with that when I need to.

He requested I have a follow-up mammogram and possibly an ultrasound.  His staff was nice enough to call the mammography center and schedule the appointment for me.  I thought that showed amazing patient care and gave me another reason to love this doctor.  Unfortunately, every time I have seen him, it has been under poor circumstances but he and his staff are truly amazing.  I will happily recommend him to everyone.
He is the same doctor that did my surgery in 2013.  Today was the first time I returned to his office since then.  I dreaded it but I coped well.  I focused on the reason I was there and going through those motions.  Sitting talking to him after the exam made me tear up.  I’m not sure if it was because of the emotion of the moment or a combination of the old and new.  I assume it was the combination.  Either way it was tough but I am tougher. 

I debated on sharing this story today.  It is very personal and I have not shared the information with many that are close to me.  At least not until now.  I do not want to raise any unnecessary concerns.
I decided to share after thinking others may be on the fence about getting something checked out.  For me it is a mind game.  I don’t want to feel silly or be seen as a drama queen or overreacting.  BUT after watching friends and family fight cancer, I feel it is necessary to be extra careful.  The sooner you know the easier the fight.  I would rather be extra careful and not ignore any potential warning signs.  Like I said, it is better to be safe than sorry.  I don’t want to look back and say if only I had checked sooner. 

It is crazy how life works.  Just when you think you cannot possibly handle one more thing BOOM another bomb drops.  I am about finished with these bombs.  My shoulders have enough wait on them, I feel like I’m being crushed.
Whatever the results next week, I will be okay.  This I know.  I get knocked down but I am never out. 

Until Tomorrow
 
P.S.  My son got poison oak while camping this weekend.  He’s extremely allergic and has a lot on his face.  Every time I yell at him to stop scratching, I start to itch.  Sympathy itching sucks too.       

No comments:

Post a Comment