Sunday, November 16, 2014

Today

I just finished my second attempt at Daily Notes or something like that.  I really think it should be called Dear Diary.   A friend recommended it to me months ago and in typical Amber fashion, I blew it off.  Sigh.  Basically what you do is set aside some time and just write.  Write whatever is on your mind but do it with an actual pen and paper.  Do you remember what those are?  Today I realized it’s a purging exercise so you can tap into your creativity.  Yep, I’m a quick one.   

I did this exercise for about 20 minutes.  It was actually 16 but I like to round up unless it’s my weight.  I dumped a lot in this notebook of mine.  Cleared out some cobwebs and I feel lighter.  Go figure.  It works. 
I am going to do my best to keep doing this.  I’m not sure I can actually commit to doing it daily but certainly a few times a week.  Part of my motivation is that I like going back and reading old diary entries.  I forget so much that it always amazes me when I sneak peeks back at my life.  Another part is it actually allows me to write.   Purging is a good thing.  I picture myself standing with my arms and legs spread, empty and allowing creativity to fill me.  I turn a golden Amber color as I fill, if that helps to complete the picture for you.
Today is shaping up to be a great day.  I woke up early and have been snuggled up on the sofa in my favorite blanket, enjoying a cup of coffee and staring at my amazing view.  I have several people coming over later and I should probably be cleaning.  Every time I start to think that I remind myself that I’m not going to remember how dirty or clean my house is today.  What I am going to remember is the moments I steal for myself to just enjoy and be in the present.  I’ll also remember the great time I have with these ladies and if the condition of my house really bothers them, then that is their problem.  I live in the middle of fields and it’s dusty.  It doesn’t matter if I dust non-stop there will still be dust.   Of course about an hour before they arrive I will most likely start a mad dash to do everything I decided wasn't important this morning. 
This leads me to thinking about the last time I really, really pushed a personal boundary for myself. (having people over when my house isn't clean is a boundary)  Early this year I was invited to a birthday party for a woman I barely knew.  Her husband and mine were friends and we’d met a time or two.   I was invited to her party and almost turned down the offer.  My husband was going to be out of town and I would be attending alone.  Walking into a party where I didn’t really know anyone was a terrifying thought to me.  It pushed so many boundaries, I can’t even begin to describe all I was feeling.  I summoned all of my courage and forced myself to go.  After all, the last two years have been about me facing fears and overcoming them.  You know what happened?  I had a blast and laughed harder than I had in a long time.  Now she is one of my best friends.  It’s crazy how life works. 
So go face a fear, do something for yourself and have an amazing day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment