Thursday, November 13, 2014

Letter to a Friend

To my sweet friend about to start fertility treatments,

I’m sorry I cried when you told me.  I’m sorry I couldn’t be the friend you deserved in that moment.  Your words were the exact thoughts I’d had so many times.  It hit unexpectedly hard.  The tears a surprise.  I am truly excited for you even if I poorly expressed it.  I think this is wonderful news and honestly hope the best for you.  I want to share in your experience and I hope you continue to talk with me.  I can’t promise I won’t cry and I can’t promise I’ll always be able to participate but I want to try to be there.

The journey you are about to embark on is a rough one.  At least it was for me.  It seems you have done your research and are being very logical in your plan.  I hope you are also prepared for the emotional side.  Having been down this road, I hope I can be an ear for you and offer hugs and strength when needed.  I can answer some questions and share my experience and all I learned.  It just may have to be over a margarita and through a tear streaked face.    

I hope you don’t feel you have to downplay or hide your happiness from me.  I do not want that.  I want to share in the joys and be a shoulder should things not go perfectly along the way.  I look forward to holding your little one(s) and getting the baby fix for which I so often long. I look forward to being present and involved.

Thank you for your understanding.  Thank you for your friendship. 

Love,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment