Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Road to Recovery

I am a bit of a klutz.  Normally I end up with bumps and bruises but every once in a while I manage a real doozy.  This is what I am dealing with now.  I’d like to tell you an elaborate story of how I was pole dancing in 5 inch stilettos (as a friend suggested) or a snake “this big” slithered out or I was scaling this rocky cliff and lost my footing.  But for the sake of honesty, I must admit, I was walking.  To my credit, I was on a slight incline.  I had just finished a somewhat gnarly hike.   It was full of steep hills and loose ground.  There are plenty of times I should have slipped but I made it down.  What happened was I stopped paying attention.  I was talking and laughing with my sister-in-laws (SILs) and niece.  I had just asked if they wanted to continue our walk on flat ground or head back to camp.  We were discussing my niece going off to college in a few years and how we hope she doesn’t go too far away.  Next thing I know I’m on the ground with the most horrible pop sound echoing in my ears.  My right foot slipped forward while my left bent backwards then slid sideways. It hurt and it sucked and it changed my weekend plans.   I didn’t think my ankle was broken and turns out I was right.  It is a bad sprain though and it’s not fun.

I spent 2 days being waited on and helped every time I wanted to move.  I hate asking for help and it was a slow torture.  I felt bad that I couldn’t help cook, hide Easter eggs and many of the other things that needed to get done.  I couldn’t even help pack up (ok, I’m not really bummed about that but sad my hubs had to do it alone).   Even the easiest of tasks became troublesome.

I came home thinking I would be back to working out on Monday.  I had no intention of missing any workouts.  Yes, I can be stubborn determined sometimes.  After my doctor’s appointment and the hubs poking fun at me, I realized I was going to be taking some time off.  I am most frustrated by this.   No running and no squatting for me.  I just found my love for running again and was really enjoying getting out there.  The no squatting sucks because I’ve been working hard on my butt and increasing my squatting weight.  I don’t want to lose my progress.  At least I can still work my upper body.  
everyday is upper body day
 
I am fighting to stay positive as I lay here on pain meds with my foot elevated.  I find a little comfort in each day being one step closer to my full recovery.  I’m using crutches for the first time and I have this boot (walking cast) that is evil.  That thing is heavy and it hurts like hell when I put it on.  I swear it is some kind of torture devise presented as helpful.  Joke is on me!  Luckily, I only have to wear it when I leave the house and I haven’t been allowed to leave the house. 
I hope to get out and back to work tomorrow at least for a couple of hours.  I also plan to work on my pull ups.  Walking with crutches is definitely a workout but I need a little more.   I’d love to hear about your workouts so I can live vicariously through you.  Maybe I will benefit from them through visualization.   I'm sure I can find some research that proves this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment