Saturday, April 12, 2014

Recognition

Several weeks ago I received an unexpected email telling me I had been nominated for a community service award for my work with the local rape crisis center.  I was absolutely thrilled and shocked.  It was completely unexpected. 


Now fast forward to last Tuesday, April 8, 2014.  It’s the day of the award ceremony.  It’s suddenly dawned on me that today is the day.  I’m a nervous wreck; stomach ache, sweaty palms, all of it.  I’m not even nervous because I want to win.  I’m nervous because I will be one of the people at the center of all this attention.  
I leave the office early, rush to pick up my son and bring him home.  My neighbor will be watching him for the evening.  He really wishes to attend the event but I encourage him to stay home.  He’ll have so much more fun here than sitting at the event.  Though the event is amazing, he’s 10 and needs a tad more entertainment.   I try on a few dresses and get his opinions.  His and mine vary a little.  Then I realize I haven’t shaved my legs!  So, I shave them in the bathroom sink.  What women haven’t done this, right?!   I can’t be the only one!

His suggestion including the hat- maybe if it was a running award

 
 When we (my hubby and I) arrive at the venue, I’m greeted by smiling faces, given my name tag, instructed on where to be when and where I will be sitting for the ceremony.  Then I’m welcomed out to the wine and cheese reception.  Score!  They have my favorite wine.  I grab a glass to calm my nerves and start making small talk with a familiar and friendly face.  Eventually, I wander off, grab some food and wait.  My “boss” from the center arrives.  What a wonderful surprise!  I didn’t know she was going to make it.  She brought me a beautiful bouquet of roses from her yard.  They are gorgeous and the fragrance is even more amazing.   Soon, our director joins us.  We take pictures and catch up on our lives.    

The Roses (me looking like a bridesmaid)

 Once inside I take my place in the front with all the nominees.  Eventually (it felt like forever) a nice young woman sits next to me.  We chat for a few minutes and she describes her work to me.  She has a therapy dog and goes on weekly visits to bring joy to people.  We laugh because everyone knows her dog’s name but not hers.  She’s the one representing the nomination but really it’s her dog that does all the work.   I love this and ask questions about her dog, Bella, and really like this woman.  When she asks what I do, I simply tell her I work with the rape crisis center.  Her response is “Wow, I don’t know how you do it.  I’m not worthy.”  I didn’t know how to respond to this.  Not worthy?  Your work is just as important.  You help people just in a different way.  I wish my dog(s) were trained well enough to do what you do.  Before I could say much, the event begins with an introduction from the mayor.  It is explained that each nominee will be introduced to the crowd by category and we should come to the front and stand while our bio is read.  I look at the program and realize I will be the very last person to be called.  I settle in and thank the Lord that I will not have to stand, with all eyes on me, for very long.
As I sit there for the next hour or so I am in awe of all these amazing people.  Everything they are doing in our community.  Why isn’t the news covering this like they do the negative?  So many people are losing faith in society and here I am in a room surrounded by amazing people.  This needs to be shared.  We need to restore hope.     

I didn’t believe from the moment I read about my nomination that I would actually win.  It really was just enough to be nominated.  I don’t do this for recognition.  I do it because helping people is everything and I’ve found a place where I feel I can make a difference.  It’s not something everyone can do and I understand that but it doesn’t make me special.  We all have our gifts.  So as I am sitting there I find it even more unlikely that I will win.  I am truly surrounded by selfless, giving, amazing people.  People that are out there daily, making a difference and helping society.
The award I am nominated for is Adult Services in the category of Health and Human services.  It is the most competitive category with at least 20 people nominated from throughout our county.  When they announce our category they say there has been a tie and they call up this gentleman that works with a local golfing facility and is changing the lives of children.  My son has gone there so I have firsthand knowledge of this great facility.  The gentleman is very deserving and overwhelmingly excited.  It’s really cool to watch his reaction.  Then they announce the other winner and I hear my name.  What?!  Did they really just say my name?  I am completely shocked and instantly overwhelmed.  All eyes are on me.  As I head to the stage I repeat to myself DO NOT fall and you really should have prepared a speech as suggested by those smarter than you. 

the beautiful award
 
I didn’t fall and I attempted a speech.   I spoke with a shaky voice and didn’t say even a small fraction of what I would’ve liked to.  I did manage to squeeze out a few thank yous.  I wish I had talked about how it is sexual assault awareness month and how 1 in for 4 women and 1 in 6 men have been sexually assaulted and how everyone can make a difference in changing the social stigma.  But I didn't and I can't change the past. 

I am really thankful my husband recorded this night.  Otherwise, I would not know what was said.  It was fun to go back and listen to everything except my speech.  I’ve threatened him if he every plays that portion publicly. 
I had at least a half dozen people come up to me and thank me for my work.  That meant so much to me.  They wanted to shake my hand and make a connection with little ol’ me.   I was also told by several that I’m an inspiration.  Me?  An inspiration?  How can that be?  I’m just like you only I was just shaving my legs in the sink.  I’m just an average woman stumbling through each day, doing the best I can, trying to stay positive and help people whenever possible.  I’m no more special than anyone else. 

 
If you'd like to read more about the nomination click visit the MCRCC Facebook page.  For more information on the organization visit their website here.  

2 comments:

  1. You may not consider yourself more special than anyone else, but you are special to those you help - and that is amazing. Keep on rockin it woman, you're a positive influence the world needs more of these days!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete