Sunday, March 1, 2015

Trail Run

Last night I got to celebrate new beginnings with my partner in crime (PIC) and other great friends.  It was a night full of joy and laughter.  I am so blessed.

 Today, I crawled my butt out of bed and met another friend for a trail run at 7 am.  It had been awhile since I’d seen her and I was excited when she invited me.  She is amazing and runs often.  It was our first time running together and I was nervous about holding her back.  Turns out there was no reason to be concerned.  We all paced ourselves and met up at a T in the trail.  They were doing 16 miles to my 6 so we split up at mile 3.  I took this pic as I was turning to go on my own private little trail.
 
 
Let’s back track just a bit.  The first two miles were almost completely uphill.  I ended up walking a lot more than I expected because of a weird pinching pain in my lower back.  This time it was on the opposite side of my normal sciatic/piriformis pain.  My mantra became my back doesn’t hurt.  Figured that was better than focusing on how much it did hurt.  At mile two I got a little relief and started a flatter/down hill section. 
Miles 2-5.25 were great.  I felt like I could run forever.  I was even thinking about repeating the loop.  I was on top of the world.  I wasn’t even THAT worried when the trail split again and I wasn’t 100% confident I had chosen the correct path.   Soon I started seeing people and familiar landmarks and knew I was headed in the right direction.  I also started having shoulder pain and fatigue - my body reminding me that I haven’t been running like I used to.   
Badger Hills Trail
As I was exiting the trail, I checked my tracker and realized I was at 5.91 miles.  WHAT! I had to hit 6 miles.  So I ran a little extra.  Then decided if I was going to do 6, I might as well do 6.2.  Completing a 10k is WAY better than only doing 6 miles. 
I experienced another first today… 

I ran the entire time without music.  I actually had to listen to my breathing.  Didn’t die. (duh)  It was actually kind of nice.  It was just my breathing, the crunch of the trail under my shoes and nature.  Talk about therapy!  It definitely cleared my head.  It was amazing.  Except for that weird skunk smell…
I noticed people on the trail were friendly.  Everyone said hi or good morning and usually with a smile.  The run ended with me feeling great and accomplished.  I drove away considering how soon I can get out there again. 

When I got home I crawled back in bed for a bit then met a friend for coffee and grocery shopped.  YAY FOOD!!
Starbucks and Sun - yes, please!
My weekend was busy and full of love and experiences.  I am now ready to face what Monday will bring.

Until Next Time

P.S.  I spent almost two hours doing laundry I have avoided over the last couple of weeks.  Ridiculous, I know!  I was catching up on the DVR at the same time.  Multi-tasking for the win!   

No comments:

Post a Comment