Friday, October 24, 2014

Why I am no longer a runner (though I still call myself one)

This is a picture of my first 5K.  It was actually my second ever because I ran one in 2006.  However, this is the one that started my running career.  It was taken in Nov of 2010.  From there I went on to do my first 10K in May of 2011 and 10 half marathons over the years of 2012 and 2013.  The last one I completed was Dec. 8, 2013.  



I never intended to take a break from running.  I've never felt as capable as when I was running those first 7 half marathons.  It was the last three that I struggle with.  I've taken the last year to really reflect on it. I’ve previously written that it was due to pressure I was putting on myself.  That is true but it’s also about so much more.

I think what really started my downward spiral with running was coming back to soon.  I had surgery in Sept 2013.  It was very unexpected and emotional.  I still struggle with the loss.  (you can read more about that in other blog posts).  I was training for a full marathon and was only 5 weeks out from the Nike Women's Half San Francisco.  I was one of those lucky ones that had won the lottery and no way was I missing it.  I competed and I pushed myself.  I cried many times during it.  Not because I was hurting physically but because I was there.  Though my body had failed me repeatedly, that day it did what my mind told it. It ran.  I ran through the emotions.  I ran through the hurt.  I ran despite being told it was too soon.  I ran for me and for my loss. I ran to get that Tiffany necklace.

Then in November I was supposed to run my first full marathon.  I wasn’t ready.  The surgery had set me back and I was forced to drop to a half.  This broke my heart (again) but was the only option.  I probably shouldn’t have been doing the half.  I wasn’t prepared.  But I did.  I had family there to cheer me on.  It was the first big race that anyone other than my husband and son attended.  It was wonderful to run by and see familiar faces and know they were cheering for me specifically.  It gave me a huge boost.  Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough. I suffered through most of that experience.  I struggled and cried out of frustration but I didn’t quit.  I crossed the finish line feeling so ill, I thought I was going to throw up.  I could barely walk from the pain. I found a curb and sat there trying to recover.  My family was waiting at a restaurant where we were going to celebrate my victory.  I had to call my husband and tell him I couldn’t walk to him.   He and one of my Aunt’s came to me and we headed back to our hotel.  I did get very sick for the first time ever (from running).  I finally pulled it together after a bath and was able to join my family for a very late dinner.  A dinner I didn’t enjoy.  I loved spending the time with them but I was miserable, sad and beyond mad at my body.  It had once again failed me.  See, at the time I wasn’t looking at what it had accomplished.  I was only focused on the negative.

My very last half marathon (so far) was in Dec. 2013.  Part way through it I actually had the thought “why am I doing this?”  We all have that thought at some point but this time I didn’t have an answer.  I didn’t care about anything except not running.  For the first time I actually considered stopping, walking off the course and going straight back to my hotel.  I didn’t care about anything else.  I didn’t care about the finish line.  I didn’t care about the bling.  I didn’t care about the disappointment.  All I wanted was to not be running.  I honestly do not have some profound or honest answer as to why I didn’t quit.  All I have is that I didn’t.  I finished it and now I am so glad.  I’m glad because I’m not a quitter and I didn’t give up on myself.  After, I once again was horribly sick but recovered much quicker.  Thank goodness because I flew home within hours of finishing it.    


 It’s been nearly a year and I’ve ran 3-4 races this year.  All 5 or 10K’s and for fun or for a cause I am passionate about.  I don’t know when I’ll run again.  I don’t know if I’ll ever complete that full marathon or if I’ll receive another medal to add to my collection.  I do know that I’m not the same person I was.  I’m much stronger and forgiving of myself while still being stubborn.  I do wonder if I’d given myself more time to recover if I’d still be competing and if I would have achieved that full marathon by now.  We can’t change the past though.  So I accept what my history holds and wonder about the future.  Great things are happening for me they’re just not what I would have expected a year ago.  That’s the crazy thing about this journey.  It’s always changing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment